Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Critical Reflection


At the start of the course, I have stated my goals that I want to achieve in this course which is to minimise my weaknesses of displaying limited sentence structure, vocabulary and grammar use in sentences. I too had a problems in conveying my ideas into words due to lack of reading and writing. However now, I do realise that the only effective way in learning and improving myself is to read more and practice what you have learned. By reading sample reports and articles and have guidance from Mr Blackstone and friends, it helped me became a better writer and a communicator among peers.

One of the problems that me and my group faced during the project would be finding limited sources of information in the internet. One good example was to find the electricity consumption of buildings in Singapore. To make our project feasible, we had to support our ideas with these information to let audience/readers understand the main problem of electricity wastage in Singapore. We as a group learned that with the shortage amount of time for the project, we had to learn to be quick and work smart in researching. So we had to change our mindset/perspective  in our research to find sources that are easily accessed and at the same time `meet our needs for information. We then changed into researching how electrical appliance cost in a electricity bill. Information as such were sufficient for the report.

Honestly, it was my first time presenting without a script. Although it is difficult, I did give a tap on my back for putting an extra mile to make our group’s presentation run smoothly. I have learned so much in this phase, from small details such as orientation of bullet points in powerpoint slides to major details such as handing over to the next speaker. I believe our strength as a team was to attract the audience interests in our presentation and include them as much as we can to promote our idea. My weaknesses were still trying to remember and interpret my script to the audience smoothly. With the habit of filler words as well, it shows how low my confidence is in conveying the topic I am presenting. I believe there will always have opportunity for improvement and I am glad that Effective Communication  has gave  me that opportunity.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Aufal,

    I am glad that you learned an effective way of learning and improving yourself. I would also give you a pat on your back for the awesome presentation your group has showcased that day.

    Good luck with the Math paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Offal,

    It is great that you have learned to become a better writer and communicator from Effective Communication, hope that you will keep up with the habit of reading and practicing more to improve yourself.

    I would also love to give you a pat on your head for the engaging presentation presented in the showcase.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aufal,

    I am happy that you learnt how to be quick and work smart in researching for the topics in your report. This is an essential skill we should have as undergrads and is particularly useful for the working world.

    I'd like to commend you for the excellent presentation you and your group gave. It was engaging and i personally feel that your group did the best job. Good job bro Aufal!

    Cheers,
    Alfian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aufal,

    It has been great working with you. I personally felt that you did a great job during the presentation (especially with a bigger audience)!

    Regards,
    Nurul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aufal,

    After reading your post, I am glad that you managed to overcome your biggest fear which is presenting without a script. I am proud that during the Presentation Showcase you presented smoothly. As a whole, I view your team as the best among all and congratulations on being the 2nd team. Good Job Aufal!

    Cheers,
    Syahiran

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Aufal,

    It has been a great time working with you on our project. I think you did well at the Presentation Showcase and I am proud of you.

    Well done!

    Cheers,
    Lu Sheng

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Aufal,

    Thank you for this fairly detailed reflection and for great effort at developing your skills throughout the term. I appreciate how much you have done for your winning project team. I also applaud your effort to keep the bi-weekly lessons lively and your classmates engaged. It was a pleasure working with you.

    All the best as you continue your learning journey at SIT.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete